Thursday, May 1, 2014

Quick Tip: Go Green, Save $$, DIY Pledge

My bottle of DIY Pledge. Practicin' what I preach!
Let's get honest here. I hate the smell of Pledge. I hate it so much that for years I didn't use Pledge to dust my house with, I just used a multipurpose cleaner, or Windex to dust my house with. And that's all well and good, I suppose, but when I stumbled across this recipe for a DIY Pledge/Dusting Spray and saw that you could add your own essential oils - basically your own scent - I knew I had to give it a try. 

Let me get even more honest... I hate dusting. It's time consuming, and I have to handle a damp, stinky rag and then my hands dry out and get crusty and dust goes flying everywhere and I start sneezing and then the dog starts sneezing... it's a mess. And we live in an old house, so lots of dust accumulates very quickly, especially recently when it's been too warm to run the heaters but not hot enough to run the air conditioner, so I've had the windows open every day with the ceiling fans going... yeah.

I cannot take credit for this recipe, I'd love to, but alas, cannot. I'm going to share with you my biggest secret weapon... my YouTube subscription to a channel called "DoItOnADime." Her name is Kathryn, and she is probably the most amazing youtuber out there. She is my absolute favorite, and I get all excited like a little kid whenever I see a new video from her.  Seriously, she will change your life. 90% of my tricks come from her. She's changed my life. Click the link above and go meet her, her husband Charlie, their son Carson and their doggie Luna! You'll love her, I promise!! She has so many wonderful cleaning tips and organizing tips and recipes and she's a Goodwill/Thrift Store queen....she's amazing. I can't praise her enough. She's a nice enough person that when I message her to tell her I've tried another one of her tricks, she messages back! Big deal for this girl!!

Now, when Kathryn said she used this, I knew it had to be like liquid gold. 

All you have to do is mix:

2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon of essential oil (whatever scent you like. I use lavender, but you could use citrus, or whatever floats your boat!)
1/4 cup of white vinegar
1 1/3 cup of water. 

I just mixed everything in a bottle I already had, and because I have everything on hand that I needed to make this, it cost me absolutely NOTHING.  Money Spent: Zero Dollars and Zero Cents. Now THAT is how you save money!

Give her a good shake and spray away. I use a regular cotton cloth, like an old cloth baby diaper (clean of course) or one of my husbands old undershirts (over time they thin out and he can't wear them anymore, and thats when they become phenomenal cleaning rags), or a nice microfiber cloth (you can get them at the Dollar store). I have found that since I've been using this, dust doesn't go flying around so easily, I don't sneeze when I'm dusting, neither does my Tabby girl, and the best part of all, it seems like I don't have to dust as much. Like it used to be an ever other day thing having to dust my furniture. Honestly, hand to the Bible, I dusted on Friday (we had friends over) and haven't touched my furniture with a dusting rag until today, and really didn't need to. And I have DARK furniture scattered all throughout my house. I love this stuff! Thank you SO MUCH KATHRYN for sharing this on your channel!!


I hope this works as well for all of you as it does for me, and for Kathryn! Give it a shot, and let me know how it goes!!

Thanks for stopping by The Simple Life again today!! Don't forget about my Home Style Evolution series, new posts every Transformation Tuesday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment