Monday, August 18, 2014

Homemade Tacos

This is such an easy supper to make! It's one of Aaron's favorite and he would, literally, eat it every night if I would cook it for him.

We have a "tradition" of sorts in our house. Whenever we go to the grocery store, we have homemade tacos that night. It's something we do then, and usually only then, because we don't keep shredded lettuce and taco blend shredded cheese in the house at all times....

All you need is:
  • a pound of hamburger meat
  • a taco seasoning packet
  • 2/3 cup of water
  • shredded lettuce
  • shredded cheese
  • tomatoes (we omit. I hate tomatoes.)
  • taco sauce 
  • sour cream
Gosh this pic is so old. We'd only be married a little over a month at this point! No more canisters on the kitchen counter! :) Do you see the ancient coffee pot there in the corner??



 And then you can use either
  • tortilla chips
  • soft tortilla shells
  • crunchy taco shells
  •  gordita shells (my favorite)

Ok, let's get started. Now, as a disclaimer, we had this tonight for supper, and had I thought about it before hand, I would have taken pictures (I turned mine into a salad tonight, actually) but I was so hungry I completely forgot. These photos were taken years ago, but the process remains the same!


Brown your burger and drain off all the grease.

 



 Then stir in your taco seasoning and 2/3 cup of water.

Let that boil for about 4 minutes. (You can stick your crunchy taco shells in the oven to bake at this point. They usually take about 3 minutes.)

After that you're done! I know right? So super easy!

Here's the way my Aaron likes to make his.
 

That is one gigantic dollop of Daisy on top!  He likes to crunch up his tortilla chips and then layer his toppings on top. I usually spoon mine into gordita shells. Sometimes I'll put some cheese on my shell and stick it in the still hot oven for a bit until the cheese melts, then put my crunchy shell on top of that, like a Taco Bell Cheesy Gordita Crunch (my favorite)! The possibilities are pretty much endless.


It takes 15 minutes to do, at most, and you are good to go. This is so super filling and so yummy. Aaron always looks so forward to me making this supper that he's like a kid when he comes home from work. "Are they done yet? Are they done yet??" He always goes back for seconds!


Give this meal a shot. We love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment